The Design Consults program provides educational materials, renovation resources, and affordable consultations to homeowners and small business owners planning property improvements. For a modest fee, a professional designer will help a property owner explore renovation options, understand the impact of their investments, and realize the value of preservation and design. By expanding property owners’ understanding of design options, the Design Consults program encourages people to make well-informed investments that add value to their homes and neighborhoods.
Design Consults are available for properties within the City of Pittsburgh and those properties within core city suburbs. Any property owner with a signed sales agreement within this geographic area qualifies for a consultation.
In addition, property owners receive a Resource Guide that identifies local programs and service providers who can help put renovation plans into action.
Design Consultants can help with:
- Clarifying project goals and priorities
- Identifying renovation options and providing a recommended approach
- Understanding terminology that may be useful in communicating with a contractor
- Identifying significant design elements and how to maintain those when making improvements
Because the consultant is not under a professional service contract, he or she cannot:
- Provide more than a general range of probable cost
- Advise on which contractor to use
- Advise whether or not to sign a contract with a contractor
- Arbitrate between the property owner and the contractor
- Provide a written scope of work or drawings